It doesn't matter how badly you fail in life, if you're born into the gilded British establishment class then you'll be given once chance after another to completely screw even more things up.
Just look at the state of George Osborne. Only the most brainwashed of Tory tribalists could even try to argue that his six year tenure as Chancellor of the Exchequer was anything but a disaster for the British economy.
- He pushed an economically illiterate austerity agenda from the very beginning, insisting that all the evidence from economic history showing that targeted infrastructure investment and the creation of skilled jobs are the drivers of economy recovery was wrong, and that wanton across the board austerity cuts, the proliferation of exploitative low-paid McJobs, and a endless tax cuts and handouts for corporations and the mega-rich were the only way out of the banker's insolvency crisis!
- He missed every economic target he set himself, most notably the promise that austerity fanaticism would have completely eliminated the budget deficit by early 2015. It's well over four years past his deadline, he's been gone for three years, and it's still nowhere near eradicated.
- All of these missed targets meant that he ended up creating more new debt than every single Labour government in history combined.
- Osbornomics resulted in the slowest post-crisis economic recovery in modern British history, going back at least two Centuries to when economic records were extremely crude.
- Osborne also delivered the worst collapse in the value of UK workers' wages since records began, meaning we're still earning less in real terms than we were a decade ago.
- Despite staking his reputation on Britain keeping its AAA Credit Rating, he lost it for the first time since the 1970s!
- After only a few years of austerity stagnation even devoutly neoliberal economic organisations like the OECD and the IMF were warning against the ideological fanaticism of austerity cuts, but Osborne soldiered on regardless.
- And to top it all off the collapse in living standards caused by Tory austerity fanaticism, wage repression, pubic service cuts, infrastructure under-investment, and welfare vandalism caused a Brexit backlash that was sufficient to push Leave marginally over the winning line and dump the UK into the three years of interminable chaos we've suffered since.
Within a couple of years in the Evening Standard job Osborne has reduced a slightly profitable news outlet into an extraordinary money-burning pit, losing a staggering £23 million in the last two years.
But now Christine Lagarde is potentially moving on as head of the IMF for a position in the EU, George Osborne and his cheerleaders are promoting him as her replacement!
The absolute entitlement of it is staggering. His incompetence as Chancellor will go down in economic history as a lesson in exactly what not to do after a crisis, his tenure at the Evening Standard is an absolute joke, and here he is pushing himself forward for one of the top economics jobs on the planet!
presumably the rest of the world will piss themselves laughing at the idea of the most incompetent British finance minister in living memory fancying himself for such a job, but that hasn't stopped the Tory press from championing the idea as if they actually see him as some kind of magnificent economic genius, rather than a living embodiment of Britain's dangerous subservience to over-entitled and under-qualified Tory toffs.
What a country we live in where poor and ordinary people experience one barrier after another to progression no matter how capable they are (sexism, racism, classism, regionalism, homophobia, lack of old school connections ...) while those born into the gilded establishment class can stumble from one unbelievably catastrophic cock-up to another, and remain perfectly confident that there's always another high profile and lavishly remunerated position for them to waltz into.
Another Angry Voice is a "Pay As You Feel" website. You can have access to all of my work for free, or you can choose to make a small donation to help me keep writing. The choice is entirely yours.